Parish of Barlanark and Wellhouse
Scottish Charities No. SCO25730
Church Registered No. 160897
365 Hallhill Road
Tel : 0141-
Rev W. Bezuidenhout
On Saturday 9th October 1954 , the Foundation Stone was laid for the original Hall Church to serve the Parish of Barlanark and Wellhouse. The story of the church in this community however, does not begin at this point; it goes back further. The very first service of worship was held on Sunday 14th December 1953 and the first minister , the Rev W. P. McNaughton was inducted to the parish on the 30th March 1954. The church first met in Sandaig School, Linsmore Place and only moved to the present site when the "Hut" was erected on what became the permanent site and home of the congregation
Barlanark goes back further in antiquity. The area is mentioned in King David's "Inquisition of 1116". This inquisition was an ancient survey of all lands formerly belonging to the Church of St. Mungo in Glasgow and which had been lost to the church during the 500 years after the death of the city's patron saint. Between 1147 and 1164 Bishop Herbert gave Barlanark cum Budlornoc the original name of the district known as Balornock today to augment the Prebend of Cadzic. Barlanark thus became one of the 32 prebenderies of the Church of Glasgow (the Cathedral). It had a canon known as the Canon of Barlanark and because of the the change of the word Prebend to the Scottish form of Provand , the Canon of Barlanark became known as the Laird Provand of Provan. The Laird Provand had a country seat in Provan Hall.
He had a room in Glasgow which came to bear his name , Provand's Lordship, the oldest dwelling house in the city.
After the Reformation , the area was included in the Barony Parishes formed in 1596. In 1847 the portion to the east of the city was given over to the parish of Shettleston. Later the area of Barlanark came under the parish of Sandyhills so , in effect, Sandyhills is the 'mother church' of our own, a fact recorded in the gifts given to us when the church community was established. Barlanark Estate of the present day is only a portion of the original Prebendary of Barlanark and dates from the 1820's. It was occupied by an illustrious Glasgow family , the Hills , who could trace their direct descent from Robert the Bruce.
The Kirk in Barlanark thrived after the move to the present site. There was a service for the laying of the foundation stone on the 9th October and from then the folk who had struggled to get a church in this community knew they also had a permanent home. The building was completed in 1956 and served as a 'Hall church' until 1970. In the intervening years the congregation rose enormously and with it the organisations. The work of the parish so prospered that when Mr Turnbull was minister it was felt that a new Sanctuary was the answer to the overcrowding , the need for two services on a Sunday and the constant requirement of shifting chairs around to face stage one day and chancel the next . The present sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 1970 during the ministry of Mr Ellis.
It was also in this year that the name Greyfriars was added to the name of the church. Prior to this the church had been known as Barlanark & Wellhouse Parish Church: from April 1970 the church became known by it's present name. This was as a result of receiving some money from the sale of the Greyfriars church building which had stood in Albion Street.
The Kirk in this area has gone through many stages in its short life but the Kirk, we must always remember , is not synonymous with the church. Our Kirk stands as a physical witness to the people who live in this area. It is a major feature for all passing along the old Edinburgh Road and to many , I am sure it marked the return home to Glasgow. The Church though is the people of God who have witnessed to His Son down through the years.
For all who still pray and work in the parish , we also thank Almighty God and may we like those who have gone before us , serve faithfully in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
1954 to 1963 Rev W.P.McNaughton MA
1963 to 1969 Rev K.J. Turnbull BA BD
1969 to 1975 Rev W.H.Ellis BA BD
1976 to 1981 Rev J.W.McDonald BD
1982 to 1992 Rev T.L.Pollock BA BD FSA(Scot)
1992 to 2000 Rev Dr J.S.A.Cunningham
2000 to 2009 Rev David Locke MA MSc BD
2016 to present Rev Willem Bezuidenhout